Friday 9 March 2012

In praise of fresh air

 In praise of fresh air

Only when you don't have it do you appreciate it.  This truism applies to many things including that ultimate of life's necessities ; air to breathe.
 No I am not suggesting that I have suddenly or for a few days been deprived of oxygen, rather that I have been in enforced "in-doorism" (couldn't find an exact word, so if in doubt …make one up!).  Even with the odd window open, several days spent without access to fresh air makes me crave that cold draft with which no wine could ever compare.
The impact of central heating seems to make the lungs feel grainy and the throat dried, as if in need of water.
When me and my couple of sticks pit pat pit patted along the concrete path into the on coming west wind heavy with sleet, I drank deep of the rich cold sweetness of the air.  I had no need to think of gratitude or pleasure.  I was gratitude and all was pleasure.  I was tasting fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment