Thursday 2 February 2012

Choice and "I Spy"

(Sharing Thursday  WOWH   ------Choice)
When I was working I never seemed to have time for choice.  Somehow I just got on and did what had to be done. Now retired, I have time for choice but for some things not the capacity nor theSharing energy, nor the desire.  Priorities change and too much choice can be overwhelming.
As a rural dweller I truly find the variety available in some huge shopping areas unhelpful and  tiring, so that I will leave without making a choice or a purchase.
Yet whether choice is real or no, it is essential to any feeling I have that I have some control over my own life.
I for one would never want to feel that I was not responsible for my behaviour.
I have grown towards the feeling that not only do I in reality know and understand less and less than I once knew when I was younger, but also there has been an increasing acceptance that I and all around me are ultimately both important and insignificant parts of a huge all encompassing whole.
In fact I seem to manage to believe in choice (free will) and in predestination (which makes choice redundant)!

(I Spy - writing prompt from WOWH)
Today I remember a time when "I spy" helped us through a fog.  My parents had hired a car (a bit of a wreck) and in a really bad fog we passengers leaned out of the windows playing a form of" I spy" so that we stayed on the road, avoided obstacles and made it to our destination safely.
This was in a different time so many years ago, when vehicle condition was a far more relaxed affair than today and there was far less traffic on the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment